5th Season Outdoors logo 5SO
https://degree.saurashtrauniversity.edu/images/rtp-live/
Torrent Tracker
× Bow Care

Bore Butter for a Bow?

More
05 Mar 2011 06:04 #218 by Ol Mike
Ol Mike created the topic: Bore Butter for a Bow?
Anybody else ever use Bore Butter on parts that typically rust on a bow? I've found that it works great! I use a cotton swab to work it down into all of the allen heads and various threads that are exposed that normally turn orange the first time it rains. It doesn't wash off, doesn't melt unless it gets really hot and keeps my bow looking like new.

Plus it's great fun to put the used cotton swabs on the bathroom sink counter and make my wife wonder WHAT in the world is wrong with me... :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2011 19:06 #236 by AvidSnipeHunter
AvidSnipeHunter replied the topic: Re: Bore Butter for a Bow?
Bore Butter? The stuff to protect muzzle loaders? Doesn't the stuff have a smell?

It's not the size of the dog that matters...it's the size of the gun his owner has that counts.

More
06 Mar 2011 01:07 #244 by Ol Mike
Ol Mike replied the topic: Re: Bore Butter for a Bow?
Some of it does...I should have specified...I get the yellow stuff...there is green stuff too which smells like pine.

I usually apply the yellow stuff in the off season and actually you usually only ever have to apply it once. The slight smell it does have quickly dissipates. Plus it says it made from food grade ingredients so I've never thought it would be a problem since it doesn't have any chemicals or solvents in it.

More
06 Mar 2011 04:18 #250 by AvidSnipeHunter
Hmmm...you said it stops the rust? Do you take it down on a press and lubricate it or do you just wipe it on the surface?

It's not the size of the dog that matters...it's the size of the gun his owner has that counts.

More
06 Mar 2011 06:26 #251 by Ol Mike
It stops the rust, plus it prevents it if you get it on there before it forms. You know all of those little allen heads that turn orange? just work it down into the crevices and heads of the screws. I don't take it down in a press, just put it on all exterior bolts and threads. It works great to on my vital bow gear site, it has adjustments that seize up unless you keep them clean. I put some bore butter on them 2 seasons ago and they still work perfectly smooth.

They say you should use powder teflon for the axles and pivot points if you ever work on the cams...so I'd probably stick with that (even though I did use bore butter on an old Martin I had to fix a squeak and it worked great).
The following user(s) said Thank You: AvidSnipeHunter

More
06 Mar 2011 06:51 #257 by AvidSnipeHunter
I am going to have try this if it works that well. Did you prep the rust spots before you put the butter on?

More
07 Mar 2011 02:01 #273 by Ol Mike
I didn't prep the rust, actually just rubbing the bore butter on with a cotton swab wiped off most of the surface rust that had formed on the bolt heads and threads. Then just touch it up as need be before each season...I've been really pleased...though I haven't seen anybody else ever use it on their bows. Maybe I'm just a redneck but I think it works great!

More
07 Mar 2011 03:42 #302 by AvidSnipeHunter
Maybe I need to start using bore butter as a lure to draw the deer in :pinch:

More
07 Mar 2011 14:38 #316 by Ol Mike
Lol let me know how it works for you. I'm game.

Time to create page: 0.459 seconds